Advanced Coursework & Transfer Credits

Learn how to get credit at IU Fort Wayne

You may be able to get credit toward your IU Fort Wayne degree for previous coursework at other institutions.

Advanced coursework

You can earn credit at IU Fort Wayne through these exams:

  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

If you take any of these exams and have your results sent to IU Fort Wayne, we will review your exam results and issue a transfer credit report that shows any credit you will receive for the exam.

Transcripts and transfer credit

We will help you get credit for any qualified coursework you’ve already taken that can be applied to your degree at IU Fort Wayne. In most cases, not all previous coursework will qualify for transfer or apply to your academic program.

The transfer credit evaluation process starts after you have applied and been admitted, and after our office has received your official, final transcripts. This process involves you, your academic department, and our office.

U.S. university transfer credit

We require final, official transcripts to perform a transfer credit evaluation for U.S. institutions. Documents must be sent to the Office of International Affairs at the address listed on this page.

An email will be sent to you once your credit has been posted to your account.

Non-U.S. university transfer credit

We’re here to help you get credit for qualified, equivalent coursework you’ve taken. We offer preliminary transfer credit evaluations for admitted students based on unofficial transcripts from institutions outside of the United States only.

Follow these steps to transfer credit from a non-U.S. university.

How transfer credit is distributed

Upon review of the information you provide, each department will send a completed transfer credit distribution form to our office stating whether the course can be distributed. We will then post the course to your academic record. The evaluation can take several weeks, so start early if you need the IU Fort Wayne course posted before registration.

Courses that do not have IU Fort Wayne equivalents will remain as undistributed credits and can sometimes be used to fulfill degree electives (courses outside of your major). Check with your academic advisor to see if these courses fulfill any elective requirements.

Contact us

Do you have questions about the international application or credit transfer process? Contact IU Fort Wayne’s International Admissions Processing Center in Indianapolis.

Office of International Affairs
Education and Social Work Building, Rm. 2126
902 W. New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202 USA
  • Phone: 317-274-7000
  • Fax: 317-278-2213
  • Email: