Program mission statement
The mission of the Dental Hygiene Program at Indiana University Fort Wayne is to educate students for future roles as oral healthcare professionals. The program is committed to excellence in the theory and practice of dental hygiene and in the development of competent, socially sensitive, and ethically responsible professionals.
Dental Hygiene Program will be a nationally recognized dental hygiene program, committed to achieving academic excellence, state-of-the-art educational environments, positive contributions to the oral health of northeast Indiana's diverse population, and outstanding creative endeavors from faculty and students.
Goals and objectives
- Students will apply principles from basic sciences, clinical, and social sciences to the delivery of dental hygiene services
- Students will develop competence is assessing, planning, treating, and evaluating oral conditions and diseases
- Students will develop effective communication skills
- Students will promote good health practices to others
- Students will design, implement, and evaluate community dental health programs
- Students will develop skills in critical thinking, reasoning, questioning, and decision making
- Students will interpret and evaluate current research findings
- Students will promote the dental hygiene profession through service learning activities, affiliations with professional organizations, and partnerships with the community.