Applying to the dental hygiene program
To be eligible to apply to the dental hygiene program, you must be admitted to IU Fort Wayne as a degree-seeking student. Admission to the IUFW Dental Hygiene Program is competitive and limited to 24 full-time students per year. To be accepted into the program, you must:
- Submit the following information to the IUFW Dental Hygiene Program Office by February 1st of the year in which you are applying for program enrollment:
- Completed, signed IUFW Dental Hygiene Program Application. Note: Copies of applications from other programs WILL NOT be accepted.
- Complete the IUFW Curriculum Information Form.
- Submit official transcripts of ALL college work. Note: IU, Purdue and IUFW students can submit unofficial transcripts. Final transcripts must be received by the Dental Hygiene Program no later than May 25, unless a course is completed after May 20, but before June 1.
- Complete all prerequisite courses by June 1st with a grade of "C-" or better.
Reading, Writing, & Inquiry I (ENG W131)
Funds of Speech Communications (COM 11400)
Living Chemistry (CHM 10400) w/lab (CHM 29000)
General Chemistry I & II w/lab (CHM 11100/11200) (acceptable for 10400 and 29000)
Elementary Psychology (PSY 12000)
Principles of Sociology (SOC S161)
Human Anatomy & Physiology I w/lab (BIOL 20300)
Human Anatomy & Physiology II w/lab (BIOL 20400)
Microbiology for Allied Health Professionals w/lab (BIOL 22000)
NOTE: Microbiology (BIOL 22000) w/ lab must be completed prior to beginning the Dental Hygiene professional program. Since Microbiology is not calculated into the prerequisite GPA for admission, it may be completed during summer sessions prior to admission into the dental hygiene program. However, the student’s acceptance is based on successful completion of Microbiology with a grade of “C-“or better prior to the beginning of Fall semester. Failure to complete this required course with a “C-“ or better will result in the student being withdrawn from the professional program and the position given to the next qualified applicant.
Criteria for selection
Priority consideration will be given to students who have completed the required pre-dental hygiene courses at IUFW or another Indiana University or Purdue University campus.
Eligible applicants are ranked according to their prerequisite GPAs. Selection for admission is based on the successful completion of all required prerequisite courses by June 1st. Since the number of applicants always exceeds the number of spaces available, a GPA of 3.3 or higher is recommended. The average minimum GPA of students accepted into the program over the past five years is 3.4/4.0.
Prospective students are encouraged to apply to other dental hygiene programs in the state to increase their chances of acceptance into a dental hygiene program. Other accredited dental hygiene programs are located at:
- IUPU Indianapolis - (317) 274-7801
- IU South Bend - (574) 237-4154
- IU Northwest - (219) 980-6770
- Ivy Tech East Central - (800) 589-8324 ext. 2371
- Ivy Tech North Central - (574) 289-7001
- University of Southern Indiana - (812) 464-1702
IMPORTANT: Admission is conducted independently at each campus. You must send a separate program application and all supporting materials to each campus where you wish to be considered for admission. Please contact each individual campus for their application form and specific admission requirements.
If not selected for admission the first time you apply, you must submit a new application for any subsequent year in which you wish to re-apply for admission. In general, applicants are encouraged to raise their prerequisite GPAs before submitting a new application. Contact the IUFW Department of Dental Education at (260) 481-6837 for specific information about the re-application process or to request an appointment with a Dental Hygiene Program advisor.