If you’re transferring to IU Fort Wayne as a degree-seeking student, you’ll need to take a few extra steps in the financial aid application process. Make sure you start as early as possible to avoid delays in receiving your aid. And keep in mind that we can’t determine your financial aid eligibility until your admission to IU Fort Wayne has been confirmed.
Attending from another IU campus?
If you’re temporarily attending IU Fort Wayne from another IU campus and plan to return to your home campus to complete your degree program, contact your home campus to discuss options for receiving financial aid as a consortium student.
What to do when you transfer
- Complete or update your FAFSA for the appropriate aid year, making sure to list or use the school code for IU Fort Wayne rather than the code for the school you’re transferring from.
- If you’re a recipient of a CVO grant, you’ll need to complete a new CVO application and submit the original letter with the appropriate military embossed seal to the Office of Student Financial Services.
- If you receive any private scholarships, you’ll need to contact the donor(s) directly to find out if your scholarships can be transferred to IU Fort Wayne. Note that not all scholarships are transferrable.
- Cancel all financial aid at your previous school for the upcoming semester, including Direct and Parent PLUS loans. You can’t receive financial aid at two institutions at the same time, so failing to cancel will delay your awards at IU Fort Wayne.
- If you received a private loan at your previous school, you’ll need to contact your lender to cancel any outstanding disbursements. Private education loans are tied to the individual school and are nontransferable. You’ll need to apply for a new loan if you choose to borrow through a private loan program.
Your eligibility for spring and summer financial aid depends on any awards you received for the same aid year at your previous school.
All awards you received in a prior term will be taken into account to make sure you don’t exceed the maximum allowed by federal law.
We’ll use the most recent information available regarding funds you received at your previous school to figure your eligibility. If that information is later updated with additional awards you received, your IU Fort Wayne financial aid may be reduced. If this occurs after funds have been disbursed to your IU Fort Wayne account, you could wind up with a balance due.