The purpose of the Staff Council at Indiana University Fort Wayne shall be to represent the support staff more fully in communication processes and the decision‐making processes of the University and
- To increase the sense of identity, recognition and worth of each staff member in their relationship to the University,
- To identify concerns relating to staff and to seek their solutions,
- To provide a channel of communication for staff with administration and faculty,
- To promote the development and adoption of policies, which will aid in retaining highly qualified personnel,
- To integrate the staff into existing University affairs,
- To establish and promote, and financially support scholarships, university‐wide activities, projects, workshops, and seminars,
- Shall encourage the opportunity for continuing professional development for the staff,
- To create a stronger bond within the support staff and within the campus and community,
- Staff council funds will be generated to financially support scholarships and programs established to assist Indiana University Fort Wayne staff
For the purpose of the Indiana University Fort Wayne Staff Council organization, the term, “support staff” shall mean clerical, professional, technical, and service employees who are not elsewhere represented.
The Staff Council is drawn from the wide range of functional classifications.
Eligibility for Membership
All non‐academic staff working 20 hours or more per week on the campus, either full‐time or part‐time, shall be eligible for membership in the Staff Council. This shall include Purdue University Fort Wayne appointed employees as non‐voting members.
The Staff Council shall bi-annually elect from its members to fill offices that serve for two (2) fiscal years or until their respective successors have been elected and seated. The Council shall elect a president, vice president, secretary and treasurer to make up the Executive Board.
A. Eligibility for Office (who may vote):
All members of the Staff Council are eligible for election to the offices stated in Section IV, and Staff Council members may nominate or cast ballots in the election of any officer of the Staff Council.
B. Election of Officers (when held):
Elections are conducted at the June meeting of the Staff Council. Nominations shall be received from the floor prior to the June meeting and a slate shall be presented by the nominating committee; election of officers shall be by secret ballot. The nominating committee tallies the ballots and the results are announced and sent via email.
C. Duties of the President:
1. To preside at all meetings of the Staff Council
2. To prepare, in consultation with the Executive Board, the agenda and designate Council meeting locations.
3. To issue all correspondence for both regular and special meetings.
4. To appoint ad hoc committees of the Staff Council.
5. To either serve or appoint an Executive Board representative as an ex‐officio member of all standing committees
6. To represent IUFW staff at campus wide council meetings and at IUPUI Staff Council meetings when appropriate.
7. To serve as President of Staff Council for two fiscal years.
D. Duties of the Vice President:
1. To preside at meetings of the staff Council in the absence of the President.
2. To become President of Staff Council in the event a vacancy occurs in the office of the President and shall act as an interim President until such time as a new President is elected.
3. Shall act on behalf of the President of Staff Council upon request.
4. In the absence of the secretary and/or treasurer shall act as a recording secretary.
5. To serve as ex‐officio member of all standing committees if appointed by the President of Staff Council.
6. Assist the President of Staff Council in determining the agenda for meetings of the Staff Council.
7. Represent Staff Council at Faculty Senate and other University meetings as deemed necessary by the Executive Board.
E. Duties of the Secretary:
1. To keep minutes of regular and special meetings of the Staff Council and send an electronic copy to all non‐academic staff.
2. To keep a record of each members attendance at meetings of the Staff Council.
3. Assist the President of Staff Council in determining agenda items for meetings.
4. To schedule meeting places for the Staff Council.
F. Duties of the Treasurer:
1. The treasurer shall be responsible for accounting, safeguarding, and the reporting of all monies of the Staff Council.
2. Compiles a written treasurer’s report to be submitted at Staff Council meetings
3. The treasurer shall record minutes in absence of the secretary.
G. Term of Office:
The term of office shall be for two (2) fiscal years for all officers and Executive Board members. If at the end of the two (2) years there are no other nominations at the time of elections, the current member in that office may serve additional terms if he/she chooses.
A vacancy is created when the officer is no longer a member of the Staff Council, or requests to be relieved of duties. All vacancies will be filled by election at the next meeting of the Staff Council.
Members and the chairperson of the standing committees shall be selected by the President of Staff Council. Committee assignments shall be reviewed and updated annually.
Member vacancies shall be appointed by the President of Staff Council.
C. Standing Committees:
1. Bylaws Committee:
The Bylaws Committee shall consist of no less than three (3) support staff members. This committee has the responsibility of reviewing the bylaws to make recommendations to the Staff Council as changes and/or additions/deletions are needed.
2. Ways and Means Committee:
The Ways and Means Committee shall consist of no less than three (3) support staff members. This committee has the responsibility of selecting and organizing the fund‐raisers and Community Outreach projects.
3. Executive Committee:
The Executive Committee consists of current officers and committee chairpersons. This committee meets in the event of the Deactivation/Reactivation of Staff Council
4. Budget Committee:
The Budget Committee aids Staff Council in being fiscally responsible according to the bylaws and mission statement
5. Nomination Committee:
The Nomination Committee shall consist of no less than three (3) support staff members. This committee has the responsibility to present a slate of Executive Board nominees at the June meeting, send ballots to all voting council members collect and tally the ballots, announce and send results via email.
6. Website Committee
The Website Committee shall consist of no less than two (2) support staff members. This committee has the responsibility to insure information pertaining to the Staff Council is readily available on the website for staff members and all of Indiana University Fort Wayne.
7. Other Standing Committees:
Other standing committees may be established as deemed necessary.
D. University Committees:
The Staff Council President and Vice President will request representation by at least one (1) staff member on all appropriate University Committees.
A simple majority of total Council members shall constitute a quorum for conducting meetings. All meetings shall be open, and conducted under the latest edition of Roberts Rules of Order. Any conflict between those rules and the bylaws shall be resolved in favor of these bylaws.
A. Regularly Scheduled Meetings:
The Staff Council shall have regularly scheduled meetings, and in accordance with Trustee Policy Revision of 7/1/81, members may be granted time off from the University job duties without loss of pay up to two (2) hours in any month. The meetings shall proceed according to the agenda.
Any employee may present an item to be considered for the agenda of regularly scheduled meetings. These items should be submitted to an officer of the Staff Council. Agendas should be distributed prior to meetings.
Voting on all matters, other than election of officers of the Staff Council, shall be by voice unless a secret ballot is requested.
Motions may be proposed at any time and require a simple majority vote of those present. Motions shall follow the procedures of Roberts Rules of Order.
Staff Council bylaws may be amended at any regularly scheduled meeting of the support staff by a two‐thirds vote, provided the amendment was submitted in writing at a previous meeting.
If Circumstances warrant deactivating Staff Council as an official body of representatives of the staff, a special meeting shall be held of Staff Council members consisting of the current officers and committee chairpersons. This group shall be hereafter referred to as the Executive Board. The Executive Board shall discuss and vote on this issue. A majority vote of the Executive Board shall deem the Staff Council inactive. In this event, any decision regarding the funds in the Staff Council treasury shall be dealt with by the Executive Board. The Executive Board shall meet quarterly to determine whether or not Staff Council should be reactivated. If the Executive Board feels there has been sufficient interest demonstrated to reactivate Staff Council, they shall call for a vote. A majority vote of the Executive Board is required to reactivate Staff Council as a recognized body (See Indiana University Board of Trustees Authoritative Action Establishing the Staff Council, paragraphs II and III).