Citizens of non-English-speaking countries are required to submit a proof of English proficiency to complete their Purdue application. The policy is based on country of citizenship – not current residency or language of instruction.
Proving your proficiency in English
Note for transfer students
Proof of English proficiency is required for transfer students whose native language is not English and who have not completed a college-level English composition course with a grade of C or above.
How to demonstrate English proficiency
The most common way of demonstrating English proficiency is through standardized exams, such as:
- Certificate of completion of the ELS Language Center program level 112.
- TOEFL (school code: 6907).
- IELTS. A scanned copy of your score report is acceptable.
- PTE Academic.
- SAT (school code: 6907) or ACT (school code: 1764).
- STEP/EIKEN results.
- British Ordinary Level English Language Exam (GCE/GCSE/IGCSE). Submit the original or a certified true copy of your certificate.
If you have copies of your exam results, you may email them to email@example.com. Or you can have the results sent to us directly from the testing service using the school codes provided above.
Minimum score requirements
- TOEFL: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- SAT Reading Test: 25
- ACT: 20
- Duolingo English Test: 110
- O, AS or A Level First Language English: C (or above)
- International Baccalaureate SL or HL English: 5 (or higher)
- PTE Academic: 58
- ELS: Level 112
- Students attending US high schools: English-proficiency testing may be waived if the last two years of high school English have been completed with grades of at least C (ESL will not qualify)
- College-level English from an accredited US institution with a grade of C or better
Do you have questions about the international application or credit transfer process? Contact IU Fort Wayne’s International Admissions Processing Center in Indianapolis.Office of International Affairs
Education and Social Work Building, Rm. 2126
902 W. New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202 USA
- Phone: 317-274-7000
- Fax: 317-278-2213
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org