What is a certified dental assistant?
Dental Assistants are important members of the dental health care team who work with dentists in the delivery of dental care to patients. Dental Assistants utilize their knowledge and clinical skills to provide dental care for patients in every practice of dentistry. Dental Assistants use their interpersonal skills to motivate and educate patients on methods to prevent oral disease and to maintain sound oral health. Dental Assistants have one of the most diverse and interesting positions in the dental office.
Graduates of the IU Fort Wayne certified dental assisting program are prepared for:
- Assisting in general and specialty practices such as orthodontics, oral surgery, periodontics, pediatrics and endodontics
- Exposing and processing images
- Carving dental restorations (fillings)
- Obtaining impressions and bite registrations for prostheses
- Applying topical anesthetics and assisting with anesthetic administration
- Educating patients concerning home care after dental procedures and oral healthcare
- Completing preventive procedures: dental sealants, coronal polishing, fluoride application, etc.